Monday, August 1, 2016

The Peach Trees Are Blooming

It rained last week and the weather is still very cold, as it's still winter, and daily temperatures range from 3-18 degrees Celcius in my area.

However, since mid-July the peach trees have been blooming really nicely. Last year my harvest from the trees was tiny and I hope that this year we'll get enough fruit to eat, make jam and some preserves.

The rest of the vegetable crops are also doing well. We have spinach, Chinese cabbage, kale, different types of onions, leeks, peas, beetroot, carrots, lettuce and herbs growing well.

The soil is also prepared to plant more seeds and to transplant seedlings. So unless something drastic happens, we are going to have a bumper crop this Spring. I'm happy, because it puts me on the path to provide a greater percentage of our food - something that was heavily disrupted by the drought last year.

This year I'm also planning to grow tomatoes and cabbages; crops that I have previous struggled with in the past. During the years/seasons when I've gotten the crop right, we have enjoyed huge harvests that lasted us for months on end.  Unfortunately there have been years where the tomatoes were damaged by blight or the environment was too dry to allow cabbage to do well. I'm optimistic this will not be the case this year.

4 comments:

  1. Your garden is doing well, Damaria. I have about a dozen cabbages which are going to be ready for picking at the same time unfortunately. Lots of sauerkraut coming up I can see :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch! I love sauerkraut BUT in small dozes! LOL!

      Delete
  2. I don't grow anything but some herbs, but we are having a drought here (Michigan) and if I did try to grow veggies, I am sure they would be 'baked' when fully grown. Or, the animals would eat them, which is why I stopped trying to grow them. Another hot and dry day today. Funny you should post this as I was just thinking about you last night while watching a program about African wildlife. Enjoy your bounty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Denise. I know what you mean about "baked" veggies. LOL! It can very discouraging.

      Delete