Monday, June 27, 2016

Choosing The Right Season To Plant: It Looks Like Winter Is My Best Food Growing Season

I knew that a region's climate is very important when gardening. But at the back of my mind, there was also this conventional wisdom that said my bumper crops would come from Spring and Summer plantings. I've been chasing that rainbow for too long.

Looking back at my gardening experiences and output over the years, I can see that the garden performed best in Winter. Most days range from teens to mid-twenties, except when we have the periodic cold snaps, the soil retains water better and is soft and rich and my seedlings' growth reflect this happiness with their environment.




The seedlings don't grow as fast as they would, theoretically, in Spring. But they are not in danger of drying out or burning to a crisp due to the scorching Summer heat either. This is major lesson for me and my garden planning.

No comments:

Post a Comment