Friday, September 24, 2010

Month-By-Month Gardening Tips: Planting In October


Melons make lovely breakfast meals and anytime snacks.

Found an old month-by-month gardener’s guide in my bookshelf.  Here are some of the things I learnt about planting in October:
  1. Rotate crops every season – This allows the soil to replenish nutrients that were lost during the previous crop. I did a lot of companion planting last season, but I’m also going to make sure that the companions are moved to different slots in my garden.
  2. Make sure that the soil is richly composted. Need I say more?
  3. Sow only a small quantity of seed at a time. However, sow regularly.  This advice is very relevant for small families who don’t need a huge harvest in one go, as it allows them to have a regular supply of fresh vegetables for as long as they can. I’m planning to plant small quantities of seeds every two weeks, and if everything works out, will keep this up throughout the year. My guide also have info of what I can plant even in the middle of winter, so my schedule should probably work out.
  4. Herbs thrive with sun, a little shade, not too much water and compost. I know the perfect little corner where I’m going to plant my herb mix.
  5. Never cover seed with more soil than twice its own thickness.
What to plant

  •  Carrot, celery, cucumber, eggplant, lettuce and herb mix. I also got seeds for sweet melon, tomato, bush beans and a mix of Spring and Summer Dwarf Mix (colourful, easy to grow, free-flowering hardy flower varieties).  Last year they added some really colour to the garden.

  • Also plant sweet potato tubers.

  • If you’re companion-planting with flowers, you can also plant chrysanthemums, begonias, cosmos and petunias. Also sow seeds of anemone, primroses and polyanthus in seed trays.

No comments:

Post a Comment